I cannot find setting icon

hello
i just had downloaded webos image for Raspberry Pi 3. It doesn't get problem with pressing 'window' key with keyboard but i had problem with the screen. it doesn't not fit with my monitor, so i want to change the size of screen but i cannot find setting icons. it doesn't help with pressing 'f1' key.

Also if i want to make simple robot with webos, for example LG Bird Robot (not sure of name), what should i use for IDE? Should i use Enact?

Please any comments for beginner of webOS developer
thank you

1 Like

huhu same here.. i wish next update will back to F1.. My airmouse keyboard dont have Windows button..

For settings u need to press arrow up key until the top. and press arrow right + enter..

u will see Settings menu on your left..

press arrow left button 2 times + enter..
now u will see Networking menu..

Hi @Dbear

Enact is one of the tools that makes it easier to develop better-optimized TV apps. Personally, I haven't used it since generic technologies like Bootstrap have been more than sufficient.

LG provides their own Eclipse based IDE in the webOS SDK. The SDK also includes a CLI tool as well as a Sublime editor plugin.
The Eclipse editor and the sublime plugin both include the exact same app development functionality that can be accessed from the CLI in a more easier to use GUI. Those functionalities are namely;

• 1/ Creating a webapp project
  • 2/ Packaging webapp
  • 3/ Launching webapp
  • 4/ Debugging webapp with chromium inspector

You can access that SDK here.
Personally, I found LGs' own IDE lacking in stuff like Code Completion and suggestions so I often use another one such as IntelliJ IDEA or WebStorm for the coding parts and do the deployment work using the Eclipse IDE.

There are Node libraries to access the GPIO interfaces and the code for the Bean Bird robot is also open source and available on Github(link here). So that might help you get an idea.
As for ML related stuff, you could either opt for a client-side library like TensorFlow.js, have additional hardware such as the Intel compute stick(as used in the Bean Bird demo robot) or delegate that to the server.

Any web technology that works in a Chrome browser should work in webOS. That means frameworks and libraries like JQuery, AJAX, Bootstrap to everything in between is supported. There might be exceptions to this, but I haven't come across one in during my development time.
So knock yourself out and have fun! :wink:

3 Likes

thank you for reply
i will try this

1 Like

Thank you for replying me

Could i ask you one more question?
If i want to develop webOS by using SDK that you suggested
should i download IDE in ubuntu and develop apps, then updating image of webOS?
or should i download IDE on webOS?
Plus, my computer's OS is ubuntu version 18.

Thank you for your comments

1 Like

You download the SDK on a development machine and use the IDE from within that machine.
Once you have developed the app you could deploy it using either the CLI(also provided with the SDK) or IDE. There's no need to rebuild the image.

Also, if your planning to get into app development in webOS you don't even need to flash the webOS OSE image on an RPi.
The SDK comes integrated with emulators for all webOS TV versions that run on VirtualBox. So it's just a matter of running the virtual box instance beforehand and then running the app on the IDE.
The IDE auto-detects any emulators that are being run and installs and initiates the app for you.
If you have a webOS TV on the same network as your development PC you could even deploy the app on that, considering developer mode is turned on. I believe this same method applies to apps being tested on RPis as well.

Mind you, this is the NOT the Open Source edition running on the emulators.
Although this won't affect your app development work in any way and visually it's only different in the UI which is LG's proprietary card based one.
If you insist on an OSE emulator the QEMU one is available, although I haven't tried it out to comment on it.

From what I know there is no way to develop apps from within webOS itself.

No problem. I had the SDK installed on 16.04 and even after updating to 18.04 it continues to work like a charm.

1 Like