WebOs App Development

I want to build .a Media Application For Playing Video For LG TV (From 2015). Can You please help me How to get started with which Framework. What Framework is the best to use.

Enact Framework
React TV
WebosTV.js

1 Like

i don't know your LG TV is webOS TV.

For webOS TV, IMHO, if you want to use moonstone UI that optimized for webOS TV to develop application, i recommend Enact Framework. but, i think react is a good to develop application for webOS TV.

webostv.js is not a app framework, it is like a library that allows your application to use specific APIs for webOS TV.

here is developer site for webOS TV : http://webostv.developer.lge.com

Hi Nicolas

Thanks for the help.

I found a frameowrk React TV for webos development. Should I use this framework. This react tv framework is under development.

Will using Enact will help me create a Netflix like Application.

Thanks

Piyush

If you're targeting the 2015 TVs, then Enyo is probably the best choice for that. You may be able to use React and/or Enact, if it transpiles down to something that the slightly older browser engines are capable of using. As far as building a "netflix like application", well, that's all on you, the frameworks don't give you a user-interface, just building blocks :slight_smile:

honestly, i'd probably build a test in Enact and send it to the target TV type, and see if it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

For Now I am using using Enact Framework. Netflix like Application I want to choose Framework which gives me Good Building Blocks and

Supports LG TV's after 2015.

is using Enact Framework a good choice.

Thanks

Piyush Aggarwal

Hi

For Now I am using Enact Framework for Creating Applications for LG TV WebOs.

Is Enact the Right Choice for building Application for LG TV's WebOS. Am I going in right direction.

I saw ReactTV Framework. But it under development. Can I use it?

Thanks

Piyush Aggarwal

Hi,

i found it on google. link : Developing for TVs with React-TV. React-TV is an ecosystem for Reactjs on… | by Raphael Amorim | Medium is it right?
or Could you share the link of react TV framework for our forum members?

i think this is a github link for react TV Framework : GitHub - raphamorim/react-tv: [ Unmaintained due to raphamorim/react-ape ] React Renderer for low memory applications

if it is right, i think you can use react tv framework to make application for webOS TV.

Hi

Yes. This is the right link for React Tv.

GitHub Link:

https://github.com/raphamorim/react-tv

I really found it great to read about it. I am asking should I use React To. Please help.

I am still figuring out Enact Framework or React TV

Thanks

Piyush Aggarwal

JS developer

Hi,

I think this is totally your choice because both frameworks are react-based.
but enact framework is more optimized for webOS TV.

Thanks

Thanks for Help.

It's always good to take expert advise before starting on something .

Thanks for giving your time.

If you were to start which one do you prefer.

1 Like

Thanks

Will using make Enact Framework will make my app to run on LG TV's after 2015

Thanks

Piyush Aggarwal

Hi, @piyush_aggarwal

I found information about enyo and enact to make an application for webOS TV.
http://webostv.developer.lge.com/develop/enyo-enact-developer-guide/

As I know, LG TV 2015 is webOS TV v2.0.
So LG TV 2015 supports Enyo 2.5 and Enyo 2.3.

if you want to know more, you can find more information on webOS TV developer site.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link. I gone through the link.

To support LG TV webos 2.0 and 3.0 I will have to use Enyo.

For webos 4.0 I can use enyo or enact

For LG TV coming in 2019 I will have to use Enact and not Enyo.

So I will have to create 2 Application 1 from Enyo and 1 from Enact to support all Lg TV from 2015

Is there any solution or framework I will have to make 1 application and it runs on all LG TV after 2015.

Please Help. I am really struggling around this.

My recommendation is using Enyo 2.5 or Enyo 2.3 Framework to make application.
and then package application with Enyo libraries and resources. (Do not use built-in Enyo Framework in webOS TV Platform)

According to dev. doc,

Enyo framework is not supported from webOS TV that will be released in 2019 (version number will be 4.5). However, if Enyo libraries and resources are packaged along with the app, it will be compatible for execution.

If you used Enyo resources of TV, you must package the resources along with the app or apply Enact, as Enyo is not included in the webOS TV that will be released in 2019. However, since Enact is supported from webOS 4.0, you must retain the Enyo app for webOS 1.x to 3.x.

Hi

Thanks for Help

To support LG TV webos 2.0 and 3.0 I will have to use Enyo.

For webos 4.0 I can use enyo or enact

For LG TV coming in 2019 I will have to use Enact and not Enyo.

So I will have to create 2 Application 1 from Enyo and 1 from Enact to support all Lg TV from 2015

Is there any solution or framework I will have to make 1 application and it runs on all LG TV after 2015.

Please Help. I am really struggling around this.

I haven't personally tested Enact built applications on any older TV devices, but it would surprise me if they didn't work, if you packaged the entire application.

It shouldn't matter which one you use, so long as you don't depend on there being a copy of the framework on the device already. Which you shouldn't do, anyway. :slight_smile:

That said, I don't know that anyone has actually tested Enact/React/etc on 2015 era TVs. If you have access to a device, or you have the emulator for the device, it shouldn't be difficult to build the sample apps and deploy them to the device or emulator and test.

If you're supporting older TVs like that, you'll need to make sure that you polyfill any features you use in your code that might be missing on the older web engines, though.

To build a media application for playing video you have a few framework options to consider: Enact Framework, React TV, and WebosTV.js. The choice depends on familiarity with the framework and specific project requirements.

Enact Framework :

• Enact is designed for developing web applications on LG webOS TVs. Offers a wide range of components and tools tailored for TV applications.
  • If you're a novice but want to focus specifically on LG TV development, Enact might be the choice to get started with.

React TV :

• React TV is a version of React.js customized for TV app development. If you're already familiar with React, it can be a good fit.
  • It allows you to leverage React skills for LG TV app development.

WebosTV.js :

• WebosTV.js is a framework for webOS TV app development. If you're targeting LG webOS TVs, this framework aligns closely with the platform.
  • It's a good choice if you want to work directly with webOS-specific features.

Your choice should depend on your expertise and project goals. If you're already comfortable with React, React TV might be a natural choice. If you want to exclusively focus on LG TVs, Enact or WebosTV.js could be more suitable. Or you can start by contacting an experienced web app and ML & AI development services provider to build an engaging application.

When choosing between frameworks for cross-platform development, the advantages of cross-platform apps come into play. React-based frameworks like React Native and Enact offer versatility, allowing developers to create applications for various platforms. However, Enact is specifically optimized for webOS TV, ensuring superior performance and tailored user experiences on smart TVs. Consider your target platforms and prioritize optimization when selecting a framework, ensuring your app delivers optimal functionality and user satisfaction.

I think this blog will help you. Guide to Build a Video Streaming App

When embarking on a media application for an LG TV from 2015, consider frameworks like React.js or AngularJS can offer robust functionality. To plan and design the app's layout and structure, it's beneficial to start with a wireframe—a fundamental, skeletal blueprint outlining the layout and functionality. As development progresses, transitioning to a mockup—a high-fidelity visual representation—allows for refining design elements, colors, and details, highlighting the nuanced differences between a mockup vs wireframe, before final implementation. Learn more about the differences between mockup vs wireframe.