How to RPI3 WebOS 1.x.x image build?

Hello. I am a student studying WebOS. In the course of the project, I write because I have questions about WebOS development.

Right now, I do not have a Raspberry Pi 4 and only have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model, so I am going to study with the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model.

So, I want to build 'WebOS 1.x.x' with Raspberry Pi 3.

When I run the 'bitbake webos-image-devel' command to build the image...

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION = "2.0.0"
BUILD_SYS = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING = "ubuntu-18.04"
TARGET_SYS = "arm-webos-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE = "raspberrypi3"
DISTRO = "webos"
DISTRO_VERSION = "2.19.0.g"

DISTRO_VERSION shows "2.19.0.g", By any chance, is this built with WebOS 2.x.x? is it impossible to install WebOS 1.x.x?

(and in 'Configuring the Build', it was written with './mcf -p 4 -b 4 raspberrypi3-64' command.)

My development environment is Ubuntu 18.04.

Hi @droppgs, welcome to the forum.

We don't support webOS 1.x versions anymore, but at least I can let you know the OLD build guide for 1.x versions.

At somewhere in the below steps, you might (probably 99.99%) encounter build errors. But we cannot help you because it is far beyond our capacity.

After the cloning step (git clone ~~~), check out the @91.release branch.

$ git checkout @91.release

The above command will rewind time about 4 years ago.

Then, run prerequisites.sh and the mcf command with raspberrypi3 . (At that time, we only support 32-bit machines.)

$ sudo scripts/prerequisites.sh
$ ./mcf -p <value> -b <value> raspberrypi3

Then, enter the following command:

$ source oe-init-build-env
$ bitbake webos-image-devel

If you succeed, you can get the resulting image will be created at BUILD/deploy/images/raspberrypi3/webos-image-raspberrypi3.rootfs.rpi-sdimg.

But we STROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGLY recommend you to use Raspberry Pi 4 with the latest webOS OSE version.

Thank you so much for your reply..! :smiley:
I'll configure it as you said.

If the method I told you doesn't work, I'll have to buy a Raspberry Pi 4... :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like