What features would you like to have in webOS OSE?

Hello All,

Post me the features you would like to have in webOS.
It can be anything, it could even be in other operating systems.
Shoot them :slight_smile:
Looking forward for interesting ones!!!

1 Like

Please port Preware and it's app repository to webOS OSE.
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware

The ability to use the usb port on a display for ambient lighting like hyperion

1 Like

Support for Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Helpful link, thanks

It's still not officially supported by LGE, but here is support for 3B+:

Airplay 2 support
Chromecast support

Hi!
First, thank you for the great work! I would like to have the ability to use webOS as smart Streaming Box, where I can install apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Sky X for example. Maybe including the LG Content Store or something similar.
So the Raspi could be a complete replacement for Android TV or the Fire thingy.
Also support for moonlight would be a cool thing!

Thank you very much for your efforts!
Greetings
Rainer

emulator on 64 bit, so that we can install docker

Support for Rustlang.

same, i also want support for Raspberry get-vidmateapp.com

Regards, get-mobdroapk.com

Just add meta-rust into the layers and it should work.

First, thank you for the great work! I would like to have the ability to use webOS as smart Streaming Box, where I can install apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Sky X for example. Maybe including the LG Content Store or something similar.

Hi, welcome to the webOS world. Unfortunately, webOS OSE is an open-source platform, it doesn't provide commercial applications like Netflix, Amazon Prime. And it doesn't provide a content store or something similar.

But, you can develop your own application like youtube or twitch using public opened APIs or allowed APIs by service vendors.

Hi, I am new here, exploring WebOS OSE and learning new stuff everyday. I was thinking to discuss my idea of integrating Alexa just like we have Google Assistant in our IoT layer. @nicolas @NERGI

Hi @manjotsidhu, welcome to the forum!

Did you mean that you want to suggest some ideas about Alexa?

Yes, integrating Alexa Service in WebOS

Thanks for your suggestion. I will forward your idea to the webOS dev. team.

An evergreen auto updating version of Chromium or at the least, the ability to install a browser which doesn’t require the use of the built in browser to render pages.

Not quite sure why new versions of WebOS in the best case ends up being about 10-15 versions behind Chromium when it’s released, but it’s really frustrating to have websites reasonably expecting a baseline of modern functionality and that can’t be met with a connected tv browser locked on a version from:

WebOS 1.0 <- 2014 - webkit 537 <- 2012 release
WebOS 2.0 <- 2015 - webkit 538 <- 2013
WebOS 3.0 <- 2016 - chromium 38 <- 2014
WebOS 4.0 <- 2018 - chromium 53 <- 2016
WebOS 5.0 <- 2020 - chromium 68 <- 2018
WebOS 6.0 <- 2021 - chromium ?? <- can’t find this information listed anywhere, but guessing it’s a 2019 version based on trends.

What most people probably don’t realize is when they buy a smart tv within 1 year of it being released, the software on it is already 3 years out of date. I keep reading forums where end users are making excuses about the chips not being fast enough to run newer browsers. They think this has to do with the performance of the chips!!! The ARM chips are fast and capable. Whatever the reason, it’s not because the chips don’t perform well. My guess is designed obsolescence. I can’t see how either maintenance costs or performance would be relevant.

1 Like

WebOS OSE 2.9 <- January 2021 - Chromium 84 <- May 2020

Current Chromium version is 92.0.4497.0 from May 2021

Why the lag?