Raspberry Pi 3 b+ support?

Hello everyone,
WebOS does not support RPI 3 b+?
I wrote webos image to micro SD card, but not working on my RPI 3b+. Won't boot at all.
How can I correct WebOS source to operate it normally in RPI 3 b+?

@cre8tor Hi! As far as I know, only the older 3B model is supported at this time. The newer 3B+ model will not work with webOS. Of course, this is subject to change in the future!

For now, if you want a device to test webOS on, you should consider getting a 3B rather than the 3B+.

Anyone study the differences between the 3B and 3B+ to figure out what the points of failure might be, yet?

1 Like

This could mean nothing but I believe the B+ has a different variant SoC than the regular 3.

@n-jay @ericblade If I'm not mistaken, the SoC on the RPi 3B+ is the same as the older 3B, but faster. Also, the 3B+ has a faster Gigabit Ethernet setup with PoE. It also has a newer WiFi chip.

I think the change in the Ethernet and WiFi devices are the culprit of why webOS won't work on the 3B+. Have a look-see here: https://www.androidcentral.com/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-vs-3-b

1 Like

Looks legit @kjhodge, that maybe the case after all.
btw, I got the processor revision details from this website.

Would editing the build script overcome this issue? :confused:

2 Likes

It's not simple build script edit :).

We would need to upgrade the kernel and integrate the changes from:

It will happen eventually, but it's not ready in webOS yet.

4 Likes

Noted :smiley:
Patiently waiting for any updates on this.

1 Like

RPI 3 model B+ means support of BLE. In the new WebOS version, BLE is included.
That means that RPI 3 model could not be the reference platform for WebOS.

Hey, LG guys , please upgrade you RPI 3 platform to support BLE.

Who could help ?

By the way, has anybody added Mozilla Things ( https://iot.mozilla.org/gateway/ ) on a WebOS platform ?

Best

David Menga, smart home engineer

Hi @David_Menga,
Are you referring to the Mozilla IoT Things Gateway specifically? In that case, I think there's a special image that needs to be flashed on an RPi. Not sure how webOS helps in that regard.

If you are speaking on terms of an IoT Thing then it should be quite possible via the NodeJS instructions in the Mozilla IoT site. I haven't tried it myself but since I got to know of Mozillas' IoT efforts from your post I'd be willing to give a try now :wink:

you are right. the goal is to add Mozilla Things IoT layers above WebOS's Node.js and WebOS's connectivity adapters, especially the rule engine and the intent system.
That could bring an open source reference platform for smart home.
RPI 3 model B+ is a good choice. Moreover , the PoE HAT is now available, it can help !!!

That sounds like a cool idea @David_Menga!
I have my own thoughts on this as well.

Might I suggest opening a new topic in the forum for Mozilla IoT Gateway support development so others can join the conversation as well? It could be under the "platform development" category.
Discussing it here spams this thread and veers off the topic the thread was intended for.

1 Like

We are planning to upgrade yocto and then hopefully kernel version is also upgraded. Then we can check to support RPI3 B+.

4 Likes

yes, they included the link for B+ support via github in this thread. me and my friend are in the same issue. the webos build does work for us but no wireless connectivity because the wireless component isn’t configured for B+ in the architecture. i found it could be simple to reconfigure since it’s already configured for the B. i haven’t dug deep enough in the BSP/Kernel layer to check the connectivity component directory and the config files but that’s where i imagine you’d fix the issue with B+ wireless compatibility. ive been cross referencing yocto project docs.

please update with your progress, i would love to support in any capacity

Sorry. No update yet.

1 Like

Hi...as per my knowledge the SoC on the RPi 3B+ is the same as the older 3B, but faster. Also, the 3B+ has a faster Gigabit Ethernet setup with PoE. It also has a newer WiFi chip.
The change in the Ethernet and WiFi devices are the culprit of why webOS won't work on the 3B+.

pcb assembly

1 Like

BLE is supported on RPI 3. It's tested and working well.

I still wait the img support for 3b+, even i don't need connect wifi, i am only need ethernet connect. Can u help me?

1 Like

Is the 3B+ finally supported or not? If yes, where can I get an Image?